1. Food
Molly Watson

Sheep Milk Yogurt

By March 25, 2008

I've become obsessed with sheep milk yogurt from Bellwether Farms in Petaluma, California (Sonoma County). Without fillers, thickeners, or gums, this yogurt is thick enough to cling to a spoon as you wave it around while you talk (which, as you know, you shouldn't do). It has a divine smooth texture and, as a bonus prize, 30% of your daily calcium.

Sheep milk is well tolerated by people who have trouble with cow milk--its protein structure is different, which also accounts for the superior texture of the resulting yogurt.

Sheep milk yogurt is also available from Old Chatham in New York and Willow Hill in Vermont. Know of a local producer near you? Tell us about it in the Local Foods Forum.

Comments

July 25, 2008 at 4:45 pm
(1) Laurie says:

Beaver Brook Farm in Lyme,CT has wonderful farmstead sheep milk yogurt. Raw Jersey cow milk and yogurt too.

July 3, 2009 at 7:51 pm
(2) Cristina says:

I’ve become obsessed with it too. Oh, it’s so good but so expensive too! Almost $3 a piece! Best yogurt I’ve ever had..by far! Do you know any discount place where to buy it?

July 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm
(3) localfoods says:

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a discount source – although you may get a better deal buying directly from a sheep dairy.

September 10, 2009 at 1:12 am
(4) ASmith says:

I like in Mtown, Iowa. Theres not even a target here, and I haven’t even heard of a health store until I went to California. So there probably won’t be any of this where i live :(

September 10, 2009 at 11:48 am
(5) localfoods says:

I looked around a bit online and couldn’t find a sheep dairy in Iowa making yogurt. You could, however, probably track down some sheep milk and make your own yogurt!

October 14, 2009 at 12:32 am
(6) Sharon says:

Just discovered this yogurt for my kids who are allergic to dairy and they love it! Agree that it is expensive. Hoping the kids will tolerate it well.

March 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(7) Anna says:

I don’t think that it matters where you live to purchase Sheep’s Milk Yogurt, which tastes so much better than that from a cow.

For example, you can just go to the following URL of the Old Chatham Sheepherding Company to order some: http://www.blacksheepcheese.com/on-line_store.html

I’ve never ordered directly from the Old Chatham Sheepherding Company. However, you can call them at (888) 743-3760.

I buy my Old Chatham Sheep Milk yogurt at a health food store in Manhattan, not far from where I work, and I love it. I will probably never go back to cow milk yogurt!