Most pear cocktail recipes call for pear juice or pear nectar. This refreshing and lovely Pear Sidecar uses a whole pureed fresh pear to great effect. Pear brandy or pear eau-de-vie are put to excellent use here, but apple eau-de-vie, apple brandy, or Calvados works equally well if that's what you have on hand (I'm a fan of Clear Creek Distillery's Williams Pear Brandy in this cocktail, although I've used their barrel-aged Eau de Vie de Pomme to excellent effect as well). Regular brandy is not quite as good, but works fine, as does or light (white) rum, although that makes it less of a "sidecar" and more of a daiquiri.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 Cocktails
- 1 pear
- 1/2 cup pear brandy or pear eau-de-vie
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. simple syrup or ginger simple syrup for a little extra kick of flavor
- Quarter core the pear. Cut 2 thin slices off one of the quarters and set them aside. Peel the quarters and chop them. Whirl the chopped pears in a blender with the brandy, lemon juice, and simple syrup until extremely smooth.
- Pour half of the mixture in a cocktail shaker full of 1/2 to 1 cup ice. Shake vigorously for at least a minute and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with 1 of the pear slices. Repeat with the remaining mixture.