Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Fresh lemon zest
- About 1 ounce Parmesan cheese
- For the best looking dish, peel the asparagus, but for a faster dish, snap it. (See How to Peel Asparagus for details, if needed.)
- Bring about 1/2 inch of water to boil in a large frying pan. Add the salt and the asparagus, cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the asparagus is tender but not mushy, 3 minutes for skinny spears and up to 5 minutes for fatter ones.
- Rinse the asparagus with cold water and lay it on a clean kitchen towel or layers of paper towels.
- Meanwhile bring about an inch of water to boil in a wide pan. Add the vinegar. Reduce the heat to maintain a steady slow simmer. Gently crack the eggs into the water and cook, spooning hot water over the eggs once in awhile, 3 minutes for runny yolks, 4 minutes for starting-to-set-still-runny yolks, 5 minutes for almost-set yolks. (See How to Poach Eggs for more details if you like.)
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs out of the simmering water and place them on layers of paper towels to dry them off.
- Divide the asparagus between 4 plates, top each bundle of asparagus with an egg. Finely grate a bit of lemon zest over each serving and peel or grate some Parmesan cheese as well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.