Grilling just may be my favorite way to cook asparagus. First, it's crazy easy. Second, the charred, smoky flavor the grill adds highlights the grassy essence of asparagus. Third, grilled asparagus tastes just as good straight off the grill as it does at warm room temperature an hour later, making it a great addition to large parties or buffets.
Speaking of which... this recipe is easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus*
- 1 teaspoon canola, grapeseed, or vegetable oil
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat (you can hold your hand an inch above grate level for just 1 to 2 seconds).
- Trim or peel the asparagus (see How to Trim Asparagus and/or How to Peel Asparagus here if you've never prepared asparagus before).
- Toss the asparagus with oil to coat it thoroughly. Place the asparagus on the grill, cover, and cook until the asparagus color heightens and grill marks appear, about 5 minutes. Turn the asparagus, cover, and cook until tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove the asparagus from the grill. Sprinkle it with salt and lemon juice, if you like. Serve it hot or at room temperature.
Makes 2 to 4 servings Grilled Asparagus.
* Look for fat asparagus spears to put on the grill - their meatiness works well with grilling and they're easier to manage on the grate (and less likely to fall through!).