Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 2 tea cake loaves
- 3/4 cup poppyseeds
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt thinned with milk to be pourable
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (if using milk; omit if using buttermilk)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Warm the poppyseeds and milk and lemon juice or buttermilk or thinned yogurt in a small saucepan or medium bowl in a microwave for about a minute. Let stand for the seeds to soak and the mixture comes back to room temperature.
- In a standing mixer or with a hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after adding each egg. Add the vanilla and lemon zest and mix to combine thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the sugar and egg mixture and beat to combine, then add the poppyseed mixture and stir to combine that, and then add the remaining flour mixture and beat to make a smooth batter.
- Butter two loaf pans, pour half the batter in each, and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature.