This Ginger Rhubarb Cake is part coffee cake, part crumb cake, with a great tart bite from the rhubarb and a sweet zingy kick from the ginger.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: Make 8 to 10 servings
- 1 lb. rhubarb, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. finely grated or minced fresh ginger, divided
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a medium bowl, toss chopped rhubarb with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and 1 tsp. of the ginger. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine 2/3 cup of the brown sugar, cinnamon, remaining 1 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 cup of the flour. Drizzle mixture with 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp.) of the melted butter until the mixture resembles a rough corn meal. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining melted butter, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the remaining 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar until just combined. Sprinkle with baking soda, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan. Pour about 3/4 the batter in the pan. Top with rhubarb. Pour in remaining batter and top with sugar-flour-ginger mixture. Bake until golden and a clean knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.