Buttermilk Cake is light yet flavorful. It's a snap to make and is perfect simply as it is with coffee or tea or lovely with sweet, delicate berries alongside.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until very light and fluffy. Scrape down sides and beat in egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined, at least 30 seconds. Add half of the buttermilk and stir to combine. Add half the flour mixture and stir to combine. Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into an 8- by 8-inch baking pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake cake until golden and a toothpick or knife inserted int eh center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.