The essential nuttiness of cauliflower is used to great effect with these easy Cauliflower Fritters. Serve them with a spicy Salsa Fresca or, even better, this flavorful Cilantro Mint Chutney to augment their mellow flavor.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes About 8 Fritters
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Trim and cut the cauliflower into small florets. Steam the cauliflower until very tender. Let florets cool to warm room temperature.
- Crack the egg into a large bowl and beat it with a fork. Combine cauliflower and egg. Stir together with a fork, mashing the steamed cauliflower with the fork as you mix it together with the egg. Sprinkle mixture with flour and salt and stir, mashing a bit more as you do so, to combine thoroughly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat a generous layer of oil (about 1/4 inch deep) in a large frying pan or pot over medium-high heat to 350°F - 375°F. A bit of batter dropped into the pan should sizzle immediately.
- Put generous spoonfuls of batter into the pan and flatten a bit with the back of the spoon. You should be able to fit about four fritters in a large pan at a time. Cook until fritters are browned on one side, flip, and cook until they are brown on both sides. Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately.
Makes about 8 Cauliflower Fritters.