Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes About 8 Fritters
- 2 small bulbs kohlrabi
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Peel the kohlrabi. Peel it vigorously - the peel is quite tough and fibrous. Grate the kohlrabi on a large holes of a grater into a bowl. Lift the grated kohlrabi out of the bowl and onto a doubled clean kitchen towels or multiple layers of paper towels. Lift the corners of the towel(s), twist them together, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Crack the egg into a large bowl and beat it with a fork. Combine the kohlrabi and the egg. Sprinkle the mixture with the flour and salt and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Heat a generous layer of oil (about 1/4 inch deep) in a large frying pan or pot over medium-high heat until oil shimmers when you swirl the pan. A bit of batter dropped into the pan should sizzle immediately.
- Put generous spoonfuls of batter into the pan and flatten a bit with the back of the spoon. You should be able to fit about four fritters in a large pan at a time. Partially cover and cook until the fritters are browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes, flip, partially cover again, and cook until they are tender and browned on both sides. Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately.
Makes about 8 Kohlrabi Fritters.