Looking for something less fried? Try these Baked Eggplant Sticks instead.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 eggplants
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs or panko
- Oil for frying
- Tabasco or other hot sauce and powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Cut eggplants into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Dissolve the salt in a large bowl of water. Brine eggplant in the salt water for 30 minutes – use a pot lid or plate to keep the eggplant submerged.
- Meanwhile, set up your breading station. Whisk eggs with 2 Tbsp. water in a large bowl. Put bread crumbs or panko in a large plastic bag. Then heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large pot or wide and deep frying pan to 375 degrees.
- Drain eggplant and dry off with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Put eggplant in the egg mixture. Toss until all eggplant is coated with egg. Lift batches out and place in the bread crumbs, Close plastic bag and "toss," moving the eggplant around in the crumbs, until eggplant is well coated with crumbs.
- Fry eggplant in batches (don't crowd the pan) until brown on all sides, about 4 minutes per batch. Drain eggplant on a cooling rack or on layers of paper towels. Serve warm with Tabasco and/or powdered sugar.