Crispy romaine lettuce is decorated with bright orange slices of sweet fuyu persimmon, sticks of crunchy jicama, and brilliant red pomegranate seeds. It's easy, beautiful, and delicious.
Note: The recipe makes one large salad, but this salad also works nicely portioned onto individual plates as pictured.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 - 2 fuyu persimmons
- 1/2 small jicama
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. agave syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup roasted pepitas or candied pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Tear or cut romaine lettuce into bite-size pieces, rinse and dry. Set aside.
- Hull persimmons and peel them, if you like. Cut persimmons in half, set halves down on the cut side, and cut half-moon slices. Set aside.
- Peel jicama and cut into thin slices or matchsticks. Set aside.
- Remove seeds from the pomegrante and set them aside.
- Mince garlic. Combine garlic, lime juice, oil, agave syrup or honey, salt, pepper, and cumin in a large salad bowl. Whisk vigorously to combine. Remove about 2 tsp. of the dressing.
- Put lettuce in the bowl and toss gently but thoroughly to coat the lettuce leaves evenly. Lay persimmon slices and jicama sticks on top. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with as many of the pomegranate seeds as you like. Sprinkle with pepitas or pumpkin seeds, if you like. Serve immediately.