A simple lemony dressing adds a bit of zing to the earthy beets and fresh, creamy ricotta in this easy but very tasty salad.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 salads
- 6 medium beets
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil plus more for cooking
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup walnut (optional)
- About 1/2 tsp. sea salt or fleur de sel
- Minced chives for garnish (optional)
- Roast or grill the beets. If you roast them, peel and slice the beets once they're cooked; if you grill them, peel and slice them first.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Add the beets to the dressing and toss to coat them thoroughly.
- Lift the beets out of the dressing and divide them onto 4 to 6 salad plates.
- Divide the ricotta between the 4 to 6 salads, dolloping small bits of ricotta on and aroudn the beets.
- Top with the walnuts, if you like. Drizzle the salads with the dressing left behind in the bowl.
- Sprinkle with the salt (add more to taste, if you like) and chives.