Put 1 cup of sugar into a medium bowl. Grate the bright yellow zest off of 1 lemon, being careful to avoid the bitter white pith underneath, into the sugar (doing this over the bowl of sugar ensures that you capture as much of the lemon oil released while grating as possible). Transfer to an airtight container and store for at least a few days a few days and up to 6 months. The sugar will pick up the bright lemon flavor.
Lemon Sugar has many uses:
- Serve with hot or iced tea
- Use to rim cocktail glasses
- Sprinkle on pancakes, waffles, crepes, or cereal
- Use to sweeten fruit salads
- Sprinkle on sugar cookies or lemon-flavored cookies before baking
- Use in place of regular sugar in lemon-scented recipes (like these Lemon Bars for extra lemon kick