Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 3 cups
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 to 3 jalapeño chiles
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or lard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or broth
- Salt to taste
- Peel and chop the onion and put in a blender. Chop the garlic and add to the blender. Remove the stems and seeds from the chiles and add them too.
- Open the can of tomatoes and pour the juice into the blender. Whirl until you have a smooth purée. Add the tomatoes and whirl again until you have a smooth purée.
- Heat the oil or lard in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture turns from pink to more red in hue, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is hot. Add salt to taste (at least 1/2 tsp.).
Makes 3 ample cups Creamy Spicy Tomato Sauce, plenty for a large batch of enchiladas or a couple batches of chiles rellenos.