These easy refrigerator pickles (no hot-water processing needed) add a splash of color and intense flavor to meals. Try them with roasted or grilled meats or as a fun addition to the traditional relish tray.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 4 lbs lemons or Meyer lemons
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 quart jar, 2 pint jars, or 4 half-pint jars, clean and with lids
- Cut lemons in half and juice them. Reserve the juice.
- Put lemon halves in a large pot. Add 4 quarts water and 1/4 cup salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until lemons are tender, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let lemons sit for 1 hour.
- Drain lemons (don't rinse them). Using a spoon, scoop out and dsicard all membrane and white pith. Be vigorous, since any remaining pith will turn the pickles unpleasantly bitter.
- Cut peel into bite-size pieces. Put them in a large bowl and toss with remaining 2 tsp. salt and red pepper flakes. Put peels in jar(s) and cover with reserved lemon juice.
- Seal jar and let sit at room temperature for at least 2 days and up to a week. Keep covered and refrigerated for up to six months.
Makes about 1 quart Spicy Lemon Pickles.