Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 3 pints
- 1 pound zucchini (about 4 medium)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds, crushed*
- 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- First make the brine my bringing the cider vinegar, sugar, salt, crushed mustard seeds, dry mustard, and turmeric to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a large bowl, and let cool until just warm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini 1/8 - 1/16-inch thick. A mandoline, if you have one, is very handy for this but a sharp knife and steady hand work just as well.
- Peel, halve, and thinly slice the onion.
- When the brine is cooled, add zucchini and onion slices. Stir to combine. Transfer mixture evenly into 3 pint jars, clean the edges, and screw on the tops. Refrigerate at least one day, and up to 6 months (although I've held them even longer than that and they've been fine).
Makes 3 pints Zucchini Pickles.
* You can crush the mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle or by putting them in a resealable plastic bag and pounding them gently with a rolling pin or the back of a frying pan.