This Cream of Zucchini Soup has great body simply from the amount of zucchini, so very little cream is needed to give it that final push to supreme creaminess. For a "cream of" soup it is remarkably healthful.
Note: If you want to freeze this soup, simply stop after step 3 and freeze. When ready to serve defrost, and continue with the recipe (step 4, add the cream and heat!).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tbsp. oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 4 medium zucchini
- 3 - 4 vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- Chop onion. Heat a medium pot over medium high heat and add oil or butter. When the fat is hot, add the onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim and chop the zucchini. Add zucchini and broth to the onion. Raise heat to bring to a boil then reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches if necessary, whirl soup in a blender or food processor until very smooth (at least 1 minute per batch). Return pureed soup to pot.
- Add cream and gently heat until hot.
- Add salt and pepper, if you like, to taste (note that soup often requires a lot of salt to acquire good flavor, just think of all that water in there!). Serve hot with a sprinkle of pepper and/or nutmeg, if you like.