Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 1/2 lbs. carrots
- 1 lb. sunchokes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub and chop the carrots. Peel and chop the sunchokes. Set the vegetables aside. In a large pot over medium-high heat. Melt the butter. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and carrots and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Whirl soup in a blender or food processor until smooth, or blend with a hand-held blender in the pot. Stir in cream and heat over low until hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper, if you like.
Makes 4 servings Creamy Carrot Sunchoke Soup.