Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 small onions and/or leeks
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 6 Belgian endives
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chives, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Peel and finely chop onions and/or clean and finely chop leeks. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a medium pot over medium high heat. Add onions or leeks, sprinkle with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the endives and then add then to the onions/leeks, stir and cook until the endives are wilted, then add the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until the vegetables are all very tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, whirl soup until very smooth, at least 2 minutes per batch. (Tip: Cover lid of blender with a kitchen towel to prevent burns.)
- Return soup to pot and add cream. Adding just 1/4 cup will just smooth out the edges of the soup. The more you add the thicker and more luxurious the soup will become. Add nutmeg. Add more salt to taste, as well as pepper.
Serve hot, garnished with chopped chives, if you like.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Creamy Endive Soup.