Note: The tapioca thickens the blueberry mixture a bit, feel free to omit it if you like.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 6 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar,divided
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp quick-cooking or instant tapioca (optional)
- 3/4 cups almonds
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat over to 350°F. In a 2-quart baking dish combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice. Taste and add up to another 1/4 cup sugar to taste if you like. Add the tapicoa, if you're using it, and toss to combine thoroughly.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds until finely ground. Do not over-pulse or you'll end up with almond butter instead! Put the almonds in a bowl and set aside. (Note: This step can also be done in a blender.)
- Put the oats, flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt in the processor. Pulse several times to combine. Add the butter and almonds and pulse until well combined. (Note: You can also work the ingredients together by hand in a large bowl.)
- Spread the topping over the berries—it doesn't need to be terribly even and leaving spaces here and there gives the filling something to bubble up through.
- Bake until the berries are bubbling and topping is browned, about 1 hour. Let cool at least slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 to 8 serving Blueberry Almond Crisp.