Like all fruit crisps, this one is delicious with ice cream or whipped cream on top or along side.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 Asian pears (or Anjou, Bosc, or Comice pears)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 6 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Quarter, core, peel, ad chop pears. Put pears in a large bowl and toss with vinegar. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar, spices, and salt and toss to combine thoroughly. Dump pears into a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar. Add butter and cut or work butter into flour mixture (this can be done with your fingers, a pastry cutter, or fork). Note that you can pulse this mixture a few times in a food processor to great effect.
- Spread flour mixture over pear mixture. Bake until center fruit mixture is bubbling and top is browned and yummy looking, about 40 minutes. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings Asian Pear Crisp.