Note: The tapioca thickens the berry mixture slightly, feel free to omit it if you like.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 6 cups berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp quick-cooking or instant tapioca (optional)
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat over to 350°F. In a 2-quart baking dish combine the berries, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice. Taste and add up to another 1/4 cup sugar to taste if you like. Add the tapicoa and toss to combine thoroughly.
- Put the oats, flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse several times to combine. Add the butter and pulse until well combined. Note: You can also work the ingredients together by hand in a large bowl.
- Spread the topping over berries—it doesn't need to be terribly even and leaving space here and there gives the filling something to bubble up through.
- Bake until the berries are bubbling and topping is browned, about 1 hour. Let cool at least slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 to 8 serving Berry Crisp.