The buckwheat flour in these cookies gives them a lovely soft yet sandy texture that works well with the deep chocolate flavor. They are delicious any time of year, and fit right in on a Christmas cookie plate.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: About 2 dozen cookies
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop and melt the chocolate. Let it cool a bit before using.
- In a medium bowl, combine the buckwheat and whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and brown sugar until fairly light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the cooled melted chocolate. Beat into the butter-sugar-egg mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Dollop generous tablespoonfuls of the batter on 2 cookie sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Turn or rotate the pans and bake another 5 minutes. Let cool slightly on the sheets before transferring to a cooling rack.