These traditional Scandinavian Rye Sugar Cookies are best when rolled thin – they are a great twist on the common sugar cookie!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- Coarse sugar or confectioners' sugar for sprinkling or dusting
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Add flours and stir to combine thoroughly. Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick disc, cover in plastic wrap, and chill at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. On a generously floured surface, roll dough at least 1/4-inch thick – roll it thinner if you dare, the resulting cookies will be all the more irresistible. Use cookie cutters or a sharp paring knife to cut out shapes.
- Transfer cookies to baking sheets (sprinkle with coarse sugar if you like) and bake just until set, about 5 minutes. Let sit on pans for a minute or two before transferring to racks to cool.
- Decorate cookies as any sugar cookie – just a dusting of confectioner's sugar is lovely.