These Easy Apple Turnovers (a.k.a. Apple Hand Pies) use leftover pie crust or store-bought puff pastry to turn apple halves into a quick, delicious dessert or snack. This recipe is for a single turnover - multiply it to make as many turnovers as you like!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 6-inch circle or circle-like piece of pie crust or puff pastry – you can use scraps that you've re-rolled together, this isn't a fussy dessert
- 1/2 small or 1/4 large peeled and cored apple
- About 2 tsp. brown sugar
- About 1 tsp. flour
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Thin pat of butter (about 1 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lay the circle of dough on a baking sheet. Put the apple half or quarter on one side of the circle.
- Sprinkle the apple with the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Top with the thin pat of butter.
- Fold the dough in half, covering the apple piece. Crimp the pastry edges together.
- Bake until the crust is nicely browned, about 40 minutes.
Makes 1 Easy Apple Turnover.