Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large very ripe cantaloupe or crenshaw melon (about 4 pounds melon)
- 1 cup sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- While sugar syrup cools, peel, seed, and cut melon into cubes.
- Whirl melon in a blender or food processor until completely and utterly pureed. You will need to do this in batches. Transfer each batch to a large bowl.
- Add about half the sugar syrup to the pureed melon. Taste. It should be a bit sweeter than you want the final sorbet to taste. Add more sugar syrup, about a tablespoon at a time, to taste.
- Cover and chill mixture at least an hour and up to overnight.
- Freeze mixture according to manufacturer's instructions or pour into a metal baking pan and freeze, stirring every 30 to 60 minutes, until frozen.
Makes about 4 cups Cantaloupe Sorbet.