- 2 pints strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup butter, very cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Put sliced strawberries in a medium bowl. Sprinkle them with 1/4 cup of the sugar, toss to combine, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, whole wheat pastry flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and another 1/4 cup sugar. Add butter and using a fork, pastry cutter, or your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal with some pea-sized chunks.
- Quickly stir in 1 cup of milk or cream just to combine.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and pat into a 9- to 10-inch circle. Use a biscuit cutter or glass, and cut out biscuits. Place biscuits on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer biscuits to a cooling rack.
- In a large bowl, combine heavy cream with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until thick and so soft peaks form when you lift the whisk out of the cream.
- Split biscuits in half, if you like, and layer biscuits, strawberries, and cream onto each plate.
Makes 6 to 8 servings Strawberry Cornmeal Shortcakes.