Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 red peppers
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 small dried chiles, such as arbols
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds (whole or slivered)
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth (preferably Homemade Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp. dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Peel and chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Roast and peel peppers using either the stove-top method or the broiler method. Set peppers aside.
- Chop garlic and set aside.
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles and set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Toast almonds, stirring constantly, until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer toasted almonds to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add oil. When oil is hot add half of the chopped garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, peppers, chiles, broth, wine, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended and vegetables are all very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Whirl tomato-pepper mixture, almonds, remaining garlic, and vinegar in a blender until extremely smooth - let the blender run at least 2 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature on fish, shellfish, chicken, or vegetables. Romesco Sauce also makes a delicious dip for veggies or crackers.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups Romesco Sauce.