French fries made with sweet potatoes are golden, tender, and, yes, sweet. They're tasty with drinks or as a side dish for a casual meal. If you like things spicy, feel free to sprinkle them with a bit of cayenne or chili pepper.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 to 2 quarts vegetable or canola oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes
- In a large, heavy pot, bring oil to 375°F over high heat. Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady temperature.
- Meanwhile, peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch wide French fry strips.
- Set up a cooling rack over a baking sheet next to oil (for draining fries when done). Using a slotted spoon or tongs, gently put 1/4 of the sweet potatoes in oil. They should sizzle immediately (if they don't sizzle immediately, remove and bring oil to 375°F). Cook until browned and sizzling slows down noticeably, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer fries to cooling rack and let drain. Salt to taste.
- Repeat with remaining batches. Serve warm.