Note: This recipe easily doubles or triples to feed a crowd.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. brussels sprouts
- 1 oz. bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive or vegetable oil (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim brussels sprouts, cutting off stem ends and removing any dirty or damaged exterior leaves. Slice brussels sprouts lengthwise as thinly as possible. Toss slices with your fingers to help separate out strands of leaves.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, render fat from bacon or pancetta. Add oil if pan seems dry. Add brussels sprouts and cook, stirring freuqently, until tender and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings Brussels Sprouts Saute.
- Increase oil to 1 Tbsp., omit bacon, and add 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger and 1 clove minced garlic. Season with a splash of soy sauce at the end.
- Add 1/4 tsp. red chile flakes or 1/2 sliced fresh chile with bacon to spice it up.
- Add 1 clove sliced garlic, 1 Tbsp. rice wine or dry sherry, and 1 Tbsp. salted/fermented/Chinese black beans.
- Add 1/3 cup minced onion and 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds with bacon.