Like the best dishes, this soup tastes like way more than the sum of its parts. I mean, who would guess that brussels sprouts, potatoes, and sausage could be so incredibly crave-able? It's hearty for cold fall or winter nights, and its deep, rich flavor tastes like it's been stewing for hours, but it's actually ready in a snap.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 or 2 sausages (fresh or smoked)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (if you have homemade broth around, use it!)
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a medium pot over medium high heat. Brown sausages and remove from pot. Add broth and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage into bite-size pieces. When broth is boiling, add brussels sprouts, sausage, and caraway seeds. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings Brussels Sprouts & Potato Soup.