Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium butternut squash or 1 bag cubed squash (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Halve squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds, cut off and discard rind, and chop squash into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until you hear them "pop," about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until opaque and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add squash, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Stir to combine, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Add additional water if necessary to keep squash from sticking to the pan.
- Add cilantro, if you like, and stir to combine.
Makes 4 to 6 servings of Butternut Squash Stir-Fry With Mustard Seeds.