This is almost just a hot version of a Shaved Zucchini Salad - thin slices of zucchini are layered with a bit of cheese and baked until tender. A squirt of lemon juice upon serving brings out the delicate, almost floral flavor of fresh summer zucchini.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- About 1 lb. fresh zucchini
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or other grating cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Trim the zucchini ends and slice the zucchini as thinly as possible (a kitchen mandoline is useful here, but a sharp knife does the job too).
- Grease a casserole or gratin dish with half the butter or olive oil. Layer in a single layer of zucchini and lightly sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Repeat, in single layers of zucchini, until half the zucchini is used. Top that layer with about a third of the cheese. Continue layering and salting the zucchini until it is all in the dish. Top with remaining cheese and dot with the remaining butter (or oil).
- Bake until zucchini is tender and the top is browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with lemon wedges for squirting, if you like.