Nopales are cactus leaves. You may not be able to find them everywhere, but they are fairly commonly available at markets in the Southwest
. Nopales are delicious when simply grilled. Their thick, meaty texture lends them their nickname of "green steaks." They are great with fresh salsa or your favorite hot sauce.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 to 2 Nopales per person
- 1 to 2 Nopales per person
- Canola, grapeseed, or vegetable oil
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Heat a grill to medium high or high heat.
- Brush each nopales with oil. Put them on the hot grill and cook, undisturbed, until grill marks form and the nopales wilts, about 4 minutes. Turn to cook on the other side until grill marks form and the leaf is tender all the way through, about another 4 minutes.
- Remove the nopales from the grill, sprinkle with them salt, and serve hot or warm.