Transform crisp fennel and a bit of cheese into a rich, luscious tart. Serve it as an elegant lunch, a simple starter, or as the centerpiece to a casual dinner - just add a green salad and call it a day.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 bulbs fennel
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tart crust (see notes above)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan or other hard grating cheese
- Preheat oven 375°F. Trim fennel bulbs, cut bulbs in half lengthwise, and slice as thinly as possible.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan or saute pan over medium heat. Add fennel and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until fennel is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Take off heat and stir in pepper. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste, if you like.
- Lay crust in a 9-inch round tart pan (or similar). Add fennel and spread it in an even layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 35 minutes.
- Let sit 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Makes 1 9-inch Fennel Tart.