The first, roasting step is completely optional. Some people find the thick chile skin difficult to digest and roasting makes it possible to peel that skin off. See How to Roast Chiles if it's all new to you.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 8 large green chiles (New Mexico green chiles, Anahaims, or Poblanos)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or lard
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, ground pork, lean ground turkey or chicken, or shredded mild white cheese
- 1 Tbsp., fresh lime juice
- 1 recipe Creamy Spicy Tomato Sauce or your favorite Mexican tomato-based sauce
- Preheat oven to 400. If you like, roast chiles to blister (and remove) skin. You can do this by charring them over a gas burner, turning them with tongs as necessary, or by placing the chiles on a baking sheet and placing under a very hot broiler until blistered on one side, turning, and blistering on the other side. Once charred, either wrap chiles in foil or place in a large bowl and cover and let sit and steam for about 15 minutes. The skins of the chiles should now slip off easily.
- Whether you've roasted the chiles or not, cut a slit in each chile starting at the stem end and going about half-way down the chile. Remove as many seeds as you can from each chile and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- For meat fillings: Add ground meat, if using, and cook, stirring, until meat is cooked through and browning (you may need to remove excess fat from the pan to get good browning). Use a spoon to remove fat from pan or drain meat on paper towels. Return meat to pan, add salt to taste and lime juice.
For cheese filling: transfer cooked onions and garlic to a large bowl, let cool off slightly and then toss with cheese.
- Stuff chiles with meat or cheese. Lay in a very lightly oiled baking pan and bake until chiles are soft and filling is hot, about 20 minutes for roasted chiles and 30 to 40 minutes for unroasted chiles.
- Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Spicy Tomato Sauce.
- Remove chiles and top with sauce (or put the chiles on plates first and then top with sauce). Serve with extra sauce at the table for people to add as they like.
Makes 2 to 4 servings Baked Chiles Rellenos.