Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 lb. black eyed peas
- 2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
- 4 oz. bacon or ham, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cups broth, plus more water as needed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- The day before you are going to make the Hopping John, put the beans in a large bowl and cover with several inches of cool water. Let soak overnight. (Or, use the Quick Soak Method.)
- Drain beans. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook bacon or ham until fat is rendered and starting to brown. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add soaked and drained beans, broth, and enough water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer while partially covered. Cook, stirring when you think of it, until beans are tender to the bite, between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on how long ago they were dried. Add more water, if necessary, to keep beans covered.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, with rice, if you like.
Makes 6 servings Hoppin John.