Braised Beef With Paprika and Root Vegetables makes the most of a top round and other cuts of beef best cooked slowly and with a bit of liquid. This easy recipe combines the kick of paprika with the deep savoriness of red wine (like boeuf bourguinon, or French beef stew). Serve it with mashed potatoes, pureed celery root, over egg noodles, or with a loaf of crusty bread.
Feel free to play around with the root vegetables you use. Potatoes, for example, would be a delicious addition, as would sweet potatoes or carrots.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 beef round or other braising roast (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 oz. dried mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. hot paprika (or, for a smoky essence,use half hot paprika and half smoked paprika)
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red table wine
- 2 parsnips, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 rutabagas, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- Green onion or green garlic for garnish (optional)
- Trim and tie roast, if necessary. In a large heavy pot (with a lid) over medium high heat warm oil. Brown roast. Place roast in pan and let sizzle and brown until meat releases from pan, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and brown on another side. This will take a total of 15 to 20 minutes to get all sides well browned. Do not skimp on this step, since the browning adds an incredible depth of flavor to the final dish. When well browned, transfer roast to a plate or platter.
- Meanwhile, put dried mushrooms in a medium bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over them. Let steep at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain off all but about 1 tsp. or less of the oil, being careful to reserve all browned bits in the pan. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits on the pan until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add paprika and cook, stirring, until the raw smell cooks off, about 1 minute. Add wine, scrape up any bits clinging to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lift mushrooms out of the soaking liquid and chop finely. Add soaking liquid (being careful to leave behind any grit in the bottom of the bowl), chopped mushrooms, and beef to the pot.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour. Taste braising liquid and add salt to taste. Add root vegetables to pot. Continue to bake until it is tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer beef to a plate or platter and let rest. Bring liquid and vegetables to a boil and cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender liquid thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Slice beef and serve with liquid and vegetables. Top with a sprinkle of chopped green onion or green garlic, if you like.
Makes 6 servings Braised Beef With Paprika and Root Vegetables.