This simple and warming dish morphs into so much more than the potatoes and cabbage cooked with a bit of cream and topped with cheese. Plus, if you use an oven-safe pan it becomes a one-pan meal.
Use the bacon or pancetta for extra flavor, substitute in sausage for a heartier dish, or leave out the meat for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 oz. bacon or pancetta chopped or 4 oz. bulk or country sausage (optional)
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1/2 lb. potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or broth
- 1 tsp. coarse grain or country mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded melting cheese such as Gruyère, Swiss, or Gouda
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt butter in a large oven-proof frying pan or stove-proof baking dish over medium heat. Add pancetta, bacon, or sausage, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through and browned.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard first layer or two of cabbage leaves. Cut cabbage in half lengthwise, remove and discard core, and chop.
- Add cabbage to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until leaves are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes into small bite-size pieces. Add to pan.
- Stir cream or broth, mustard, and pepper to combine. Add to pan and stir to combine. Sprinkle mixture with cheese, cover, and bake 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until bubbling and browned, about 10 more minutes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Potato & Cabbage Casserole.