This simple and warming dish morphs into so much more than the potatoes and cabbage cooked with a bit of cream and topped with cheese. Plus, if you use an oven-safe pan from the start it becomes a one-pan meal. You might also like this Creamy Potato Gratin or this yummy Braised Cabbage and Onions.
Note: Use the bacon or pancetta for extra flavor, substitute in sausage for a heartier dish, or leave out the meat for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces bacon or pancetta chopped or 4 ounces bulk or country sausage (optional)
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1/2 pound potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain or country mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded melting cheese such as Gruyère, Swiss, or Gouda
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Melt the butter in a large oven-proof frying pan or stove-proof baking dish over medium heat. Add the pancetta, bacon, or sausage, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and browned.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard the first layer or two of cabbage leaves. Cut the cabbage in half lengthwise, remove and discard the core, and chop the leaves.
- Add the cabbage to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes into small bite-size pieces. Add them to the pan.
- In a small bowl combing the cream or broth, mustard, and pepper. Add the mixture to the pan and stir to combine with the potatoes and cabbage. Cover and bake until the potatoes are just tender, anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with the cheese, and cook until bubbling and browned, 10 to 15 more minutes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Potato & Cabbage Casserole.