Cooking ho-hum ground turkey with chiles, garlic, and cumin and then hitting it with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro makes a fabulous filling for easy at-home tacos.
Use any toppings you like. For a quick weeknight dinner, use store-bought condiments. If you have a bit of time make your own Chile & Cilantro Guacamole (or another guac recipe) and Salsa Fresca (just chop up a tomato, add some onion and a bit of chile to taste).
You can use shredded cooked turkey meat instead of ground turkey (a perfect use for leftover turkey!) — just follow the slight change in cooking method below.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive, canola, or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 fresh green chiles (serranos or jalapeños), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey or about 2 cups shredded cooked turkey meat
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 lime
- 8 corn tortillas or taco shells
- Salsa Fresca or your favorite salsa
- Guacamole (homemade or store-bought)
- Spring mix lettuce or other tender greens
- Cheese and/or sour cream (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and chiles. Cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft, about 2 minutes. Add the cumin and cayenne and stir to combine until spices sizzle, about 30 seconds. Add the turkey and salt. Stir to combine and break up meat with the back of the spoon or spatula.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked through. Note: if using shredded cooked turkey, also add 1/4 cup of water, stir to combine, reduce the heat to medium low, and cover to heat everything up and let the flavors blend a bit, about 10 minutes.
- When the meat is cooked, take it off the heat and stir in the cilantro. Juice the lime over the meat and stir to combine.
- Heat the tortillas, if using, and top each one with some ground turkey, salsa, guacamole, and lettuce (or fill each taco shell). Add sour cream or shredded cheese, if you like. Or let everyone assemble their own tacos to taste.
Makes 4 servings Turkey Tacos.