Simple puréed melon can make the most refreshing summer drink of Melon Agua Fresca. Any type of melon works in this drink. Different sweetness levels in melons, however, mean you need to be sure to add the sugar syrup a bit at a time, tasting after each addition.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 approximately 3-lb. melon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Peel melon and cut into cubes, scooping out and discarding seeds as you go.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, stirring a bit so sugar dissolves completely. Let cool (you can speed this up by transferring the sugar syrup to a small metal bowl and nestling the bowl in a larger bowl full of ice).
- Whirl melon cubes in a blender or food processor until smooth (you may need to do this in batches). Be sure to let it whirl for a full minute or two.
- Strain half of the pureed melon through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the collected pulp. Combine strained and unstrained melon in a large bowl or pitcher.
- Add sugar syrup to taste.
- Serve cold and/or blended with ice.
Makes 8 cups Melon Agua Fresca.