Caprese Pasta takes the triad of Caprese salad – tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella – and puts the to work with some pasta for a super easy (and refreshing) summer pasta.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb. fresh, supremely ripe tomatoes
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh basil
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb. angel hair pasta
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- While the water comes to a boil, chop the tomatoes. Halve tomatoes, squeeze excess juice from the tomatoes into a large bowl. Chop tomatoes and add to their juices.
- Mince garlic, if you like, and add to tomatoes. Add olive oil to tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Remove leaves from basil stems and cut into ribbons. Add three-quarters of the basil to tomatoes.
- Dice the mozzarella. Add half of the mozzarella to the tomatoes (it will melt a bit with the pasta) and reserve the rest.
- Add enough salt to the boiling water to make it taste as salty as the sea. Seriously, you want the water seasoned so the pasta gets a bit of seasoning as it cooks and brings it to the whole dish.
- Boil pasta until tender to the bite, drain, and quickly add to the tomatoes. Toss well to combine thoroughly. Divide into 4 to 6 servings bowls and top with remaining mozzarella and garnish with remaining basil.