Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 eggplant
- Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 lb. penne or bow-tie pasta
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch slices. Brush slices with olive oil and lay on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool and cut into strips.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil, season it with the salt, and boil pasta until tender to the bite. Drain pasta.
- Toss pasta with tomato sauce and eggplant strips and spread in a 9 x 13 baking pan lightly oiled with olive oil.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the ricotta over the pasta. Sprinkle entire dish with Parmesan.
- Bake, covered, until heated through, about 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese starts to brown (you may want to brown it under a broiler).
Serve pasta casserole hot, with extra Parmesan, chile flakes, and freshly ground black pepper, if you like.