A bit of sausage, a few broccoli florets, some garlic and olive oil and red pepper flakes if you like things spicy, and you have a one-dish dinner ready in a snap.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes about 4 servings
- Salt for pasta water, plus more to taste
- 8 oz. pasta shells, penne, or fusilli
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 - 2 Italian or garlic sausage links, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small florets (about 1/2-inch across)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded pecorino, parmesan, or other hard grating cheese, plus more for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough salt (probably about 1 Tbsp.) so the water tastes as salty as the ocean. Add the pasta and cook until tender to the bite. Drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil and sausage. Cook, stirring now and again, until sausage is cooked through and starting to brown. Add the broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli turns bright green, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Scoop about 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water and add it to the broccoli. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until broccoli in tender to the bite, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add drained pasta to the sausage and broccoli, toss to combine well. Add walnuts and toss to combine. Add cheese and toss to combine. Serve hot, topped with more cheese, if you like.
Makes 4 servings.