Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 bunch cooking greens (kale, lacianto kale, collard greens, turnip greens, chard)
- 1 Tbsp. salt plus more to taste
- 1 lb. spaghetti or linguini
- 2 filets anchovies (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cups freshly shredded grating cheese such as Parmesan, Asiago, or aged Pecorino
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, trim and wash greens, leaving the leaves whole.
- Add 1 Tbsp. salt to boiling water. Add greens and blanch until wilted, from 30 seconds for chard to 2 minutes for lacianto kale, use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove the leaves to a colander and rinse them under cool water.
- Boil pasta until tender to the bite. Drain, reserved 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop anchovies, if using, garlic, and cooked greens.
- Once pasta is drained, return pot to medium high heat. Add oil, garlic, pepper flakes, if using, and anchovies, if using. Cook, stirring, until garlic turns just the tiniest bit golden.
- Add chopped greens and stir to combine. Add reserved liquid and bring to a boil. Add pasta, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Take off heat. Stir in half of the shredded cheese. Taste and add salt to taste, if you like.
- Divide between plates or pasta bowls, garnish with remaining shredded cheese, and serve.
Makes 4 servings Pasta With Greens.