Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 lbs. zucchini or summer squash
- 2 garlic cloves
- 12 large basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. salt, divided
- 3/4 lb. fusilli or similar pasta
- About 1 cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut each zucchini or squash into about 3-inch long matchsticks 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Chop the garlic and cut the basil leaves into thin ribbons.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, toast pine nuts, stirring constantly, until just turning golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl or plate and set aside. In the same pan, add 1 Tbsp. of the butter and the olive oil and increase heat to high. Add half of the zucchini and 1/4 tsp. of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini is soft and browning, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, leaving as much of the fat in the pan as possible. Repeat with other half of the zucchini and another 1/4 tsp. of the salt. Set the pan and the zucchini aside.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of salt to boiling water and cook the pasta until tender to the bite. Drain the pasta.
- Return the reserved pan to medium heat, melt the remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and add the garlic, Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the reserved zucchini and pine nuts and cook, stirring, until combined. Add the zucchini mixture and the basil to the cooked pasta. Toss to combine thoroughly. Add half of the cheese and toss to combine well—the cheese will melt a bit to make a sauce. Divide the pasta among serving plates and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pepper, if you like. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Zucchini Pasta.