Pickled okra - spicy or not - is a fabulous way to keep the distinctive grassy flavor of okra around well past its summer and fall season.
Note: This recipe gives you the amount to prepare per pint jar - double, triple, quadruple this recipe based on how many pints of Pickled Okra you want to make.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound okra
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 chile pepper, fresh or dried or 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seeds
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pint jar with two-part sealing lid
- Stuff the okra, garlic, chile, and dill seeds into a clean pint jar.
- Bring vinegar, 1 cup water, and salt to a boil. Ladle mixture over okra, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace. Close the jars and process in a boiling water that covers the jar(s) by at least an inch for 15 minutes.
- Store jar(s) in a cool, dry place for at least three weeks and up to six months before eating okra pickles.
Makes 1 pint Okra Pickles.