Note: This pie recipe calls for quick-cooking tapioca to thicken the filling. Feel free to use cornstarch or flour if you prefer but know that the filling may be cloudy or a bit gummy when compared to a tapioca-thickened pie!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- About 2 lbs. sweet cherries
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar or brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. quick cooking or instant tapioca
- A double pie crust (either your favorite recipe or store-bought, I like this Perfectly Flaky Pie Crust)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pit the cherries (see How to Pit Cherries).
- In a large bowl combine the pitted cherries, 1/4 cup of the sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Taste and add additional sugar to taste if you wish. Add tapioca and toss to combine.
- Line a 9-inch pie tin with a pie crust. Add the cherry filling. Either top pie with second crust, crimp edges to seal, and cut a few vents in the center of the top crust or make a lattice top (as pictured).
- Place pie on a baking sheet (to catch any bubbling red cherry filling) and bake until the filling is bubbling in the center of the pie and crust is nicely browned, about 1 hour.
- Let pie cool completely before serving to allow filling to set.
Make 1 9-inch Cherry Pie.