Sour cherries are only available for a few weeks a year and are perfectly delicious tucked into these Sour Cherry Turnovers. This recipe makes 6 turnovers, but doubles or triples easily.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Sour Cherry Turnovers
- 1 recipe Perfectly Flakey Pie Crust or your favorite pie crust recipe
- 1 pint sour cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- Prepare the pie crust recipe. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and pat each one into a 1/2-inch-thick disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least an hour and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine cherries, sugar, and flour. Use your hands to toss the mixture until the juice from the cherries combines with the sugar and flour to make a sand-like mixture coating the cherries.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough disks into 6-inch circles. Place 1/6 of the filling on one side of a circle, fold the dough over to cover the fruit and make a half-circle/moon-shape, crimp the edges, and repeat with the remaining dough and fruit.
- Place the turnovers onto a baking sheet and bake until fruit is bubbling and crust is browned, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.