Note: This pie recipe calls for quick-cooking tapioca to thicken the filling. Feel free to use cornstarch or flour if you prefer but know that the filling may be cloudy or a bit gummy when compared to a tapioca-thickened pie!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 5 cups blueberries
- Up to 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. quick cooking or instant tapioca
- A double pie crust (either your favorite recipe or store-bought)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl combine the blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Taste and add additional sugar to taste if you wish. Add the tapioca and toss to combine.
- Line a 9-inch pie tin with a pie crust. Add the filling. Either top the pie with a second crust, crimp edges to seal, and cut a few vents in the center of the top crust or make a lattice top (as pictured).
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch any bubbling blueberry filling) and bake until the filling is bubbling in the center of the pie and crust is nicely browned, about 1 hour.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving to allow filling to set.
Make 1 9-inch Blueberry Pie.